Help our fishing community
Arniston / Waenhuiskrans should specially be taken into account in the allocation of fishing licenses. The reasons are as follows:
- Waenhuiskrans’ fishermen living off the sea. There are few job opportunities if fishermen cannot live off the sea anymore.
- The fishing licenses allocated are not enough for the community to survive.
- The fishermen do not have a proper port which is well supported by the authorities. It is often very difficult to get boats into the sea. Despite repeated requests and motivations and even promises of Ministers, the circumstances are not as they could be.
- In the past, the fishing community, especially of Arniston / Waenhuiskrans, surrended an important part of the fishing grounds within their reach to the sea nature reserve that borders on the De Hoop border, while the activities of the test missile grounds also means that the fishermen, on other days when missiles are tested, do not have access to the sea.
- The fishing community of Waenhuiskrans should have a share in the management of their port and the management rights of the sea to the town. The community’s life from the sea should be managed in a special manner as unique heritage.